Thursday, June 16, 2011

Road Trip

You know you're in Mexico when you've ridden in the back of a pickup truck for 2 hours up the highway of death (and/or the highway of nausea) to deliver medicine to people in a pueblito. Last week I took a little road trip with a couple of employees and the doctor from DIF to travel to this little town in the mountains to visit people who are unable to come down to see the doctors in Tapachula.  The ride up was pretty incredible-the view of the sunrise over the Volcán Tacaná was gorgeous despite the curviest/scariest roads I've ever been on.  I think I had one of the best seats in the house, riding in the back of the pick-up truck holding on for dear-life.  However, I was told I could put my trust in our "rough around the edges" driver named Victor who I am pretty sure smoked a pack of cigarettes just on the ride up.  It was all worth it when we passed a gigantic rock-wall covered with trees and greens not to mention the beautiful waterfall. 
 La Volcán Tacaná
 Curvy Road + Beautiful View


Despite the beautiful views, I couldn't help but feel that the trip was all too bittersweet.  After we arrived in the town, we were invited into a couple of different homes.  At the first, I was told the bathroom was out back-and it was indeed (a hole in the ground sheltered by three pieces of tin and a sheet for the door).  Most of the houses had dirt floors, and the one house where we set up had one room with a bed in the corner and a table where we placed the medicine. There were about 15 people who waited in line to speak with the doctor, but they were only given some medications to temporarily ease the pain.  Almost everyone who came to the table had a hard time signing their name as well.  As I sat there observing, it really bothered me that there wasn't a more long-term solution to help these people.  I couldn't help think that we really didn't do much of anything to help, except ease their aches and pains for a couple of days.  I spoke to the owner of the house a bit and he told me that he has made the trek to the United States two times through the desert.  He said although his life in the US was very tough, it never compares to the struggles they face at home.  A lot of the young to middle aged men I meet here have similar stories like this, it's the reality in a place where you are struggling to put food on the table for your family.

I debated whether or not to keep all of these posts very upbeat and just share the best parts with everyone-but I'm finding the reality here isn't always an adventure or a vacation, and that there are so many struggles that normal people face here every day that I can't nor want to forget.  Between the mountains and volcanoes, waterfalls and beaches, I am meeting amazing people here who are making this trip most worthwhile.  After a very difficult and emotional week, I would like to end by recognizing a little baby girl who I met two weeks ago when she came to stay at the place where I work: Rosa Isela, only 7 months old, who passed away this past weekend after being sick. 




Love,
Rach

1 comment:

  1. It's so sad to see such a beautiful life ended by such a curable/preventable disease. There are so many needs...and so few resources. I know you're making a difference just by being there, Rachel. xox

    ReplyDelete